Frequently Asked Questions
I am looking to start polishing my car. Can you guide me in the right direction?
Polishing is the step where you actually remove the swirls, oxidation and ultra fine scratches for good and restore that like new shine again! Polishing is generally regarded as the most important step in the detailing process because it creates an optically clear surface so you get that deep shine back where as the sealant and wax can only enhance the way the paint already looks.
We generally recommend a two step process with a light and medium polish and pad combo for best results. However if you only have light imperfections, we would recommend a one step polish. The Menzerna SF 4000 with a white or black pad is a great polish combo that will remove these light imperfections while finishing down extremely well.
These polishing steps generally work best with a buffer. We have a completely safe and highly effective option if desired in the Porter Cable 7424 XP. If you don't want to use a buffer we generally recommend a one step process with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.
We also have various other resources to help you learn more about polishing. Check out the polishing sections of our Detailing Guide and Ask-A-Pro Blog.
More Detailing FAQs
- I'm new to detailing. Where do I get started?
- I am looking to wash and dry my car, what are your recommendations?
- How do I use a clay bar correctly?
- With all the various options for Quick Detailers, I am having trouble deciding on what one is best for me. Can you highlight some of them and recommend what one you like the best?
- What is a glaze and should I use one?
- How do waxes, sealants and coatings compare, and which one is best for me?
- How many and what type of microfiber towels should I use for each detailing step?
- How do I choose the correct buffer or polisher for me?
- How long do products last?
- How do I remove sap from a car?
- What do you recommend to remove spots or etchings caused by bird droppings?
- How do I remove water marks or water spots?
- How do I remove cigarette smoke smell from a car?
- How do I remove "wet dog" smell from a car?
- How do I remove lovebug etchings from my paint?
- How do I clean suede in a car?
- How do I clean Alcantara in a car?