1. Q: Before getting into some questions about The Detail Guardz company, can you tell me a little about yourself personally? What are your interests outside of detailing?
A: I have lived in Toronto my whole life and just moved to a quieter area in the outskirts of the city. My dad & uncle have always been into classic cars, therefore I spent a fair portion of my childhood at car-meets and in garages constantly learning. Naturally, I started my first restoration at 15 years old on a tired 1965 mustang fastback. I learned quickly that I was much better with bodywork than mechanical… This was the initial spark that pushed me into the car-care scene.
2. Q: Where did you work before The Detail Guardz?
A: I have been in the detailing industry for about 5 years. Before that, I worked in a couple hotels and restaurants as the 1st cook and eventually became a sous-chef. I also worked on and off at our family owned company Nordica Plastics Ltd, helping run the injection machines. Nordica Plastics was founded by my grandfather in 1984 who sold everything to start the business. I eventually left the hospitality scene and started working full-time at the family business as we were getting busy and needed some extra help. At the time, we only created molds and produced parts for other companies. I kept asking myself… why don’t we have our own line of products? We have all the machines, tools and an extremely skilled engineer to create something unique.. why haven’t we taken the next step? A few weeks later I stumbled upon some old drawings and a rough prototype my uncle started to create and never finished. It was just a very basic curved piece of plastic and looked like a wedge that went under the tires to prevent the hose from locking-up. Immediately all the memories of me painting, polishing and washing the car, only to have the hose and wires stuck under the tires flashed in my head… I knew I could not be the only one experiencing this frustration. We spent the next several months testing and making changes like adding the wheel and tire locking grips. We were determined to make the perfect car hose guide a reality. This was the beginning of a new company, The Detail Guardz.
3. Q: Detail Guardz seems like a pretty simple, straightforward product. Why does this simple design work so well?
A: Detail Guardz is actually quite a complex design. It took a lot of effort with angles and geometry make sure it fit with every wheel size and still functioned perfectly. The reason the design works so well is because it utilizes a couple key features, starting with the locking grips. It has 3 locking contact points that grip onto the tire tread. This keeps the product firmly planted and prevents involuntary dislodging. The tip of the product guides the hose down and onto the rollers, now you can wrap around the car as many times as you like without getting stuck under the tire. We learned that in order for this to work properly, you need to eliminate friction. The result is a buttery-smooth guide for your cables and hoses around the vehicle.
4. Q: Are there any misconceptions about Detail Guardz?
A: The main misconception is that if you forget them under the wheel and drive over them, you will puncture your tire and crush the product. This is certainly not the case. Detail Guardz are actually molded from an industrial grade material of high-density polyethylene. This means the product has a tremendous amount of flexibility and strength. Basically, they will act as wheel chock and help prevent the car from rolling and running them over. In-case you really give it some gas and manage to run them over, they will just bend and mend back into shape for re-use. We are always listening to feedback and will continue to make improvements for an even better experience.
5. Q: I know you were hard at work on the new Dirt Lock bucket filter, is there any information you can share with our readers on this new product?
A: The Dirt Lock is a brand new bucket filter we’ve been working on for almost 2 years now. We are very excited to announce it’s now available on the market. It utilizes the energy of your hand moving up and down in the bucket to start a chain-reaction cycle. Each time you pump your hand in the bucket you give the Dirt Lock the momentum it needs to filter out debris and return clean water above the screen. It is able to do this with 4 key features:
- First the shape of the product mimics a jet-turbine. By playing with the curves, we were able to create a small vortex effect when you pump your hand in the bucket. This speeds up the water & debris in a downward motion.
- Water & debris will then pass through hundreds of tapered Venturi funnels that will compress and concentrate the charge. This speeds up the water and blasts the debris to the bottom of the bucket. (The same idea as a pressure washer or jet hose attachment, but on a smaller scale)
- We applied the same Venturi concept, but in reverse with much smaller openings underneath. This keeps the debris trapped underneath the screen and allows clean water to return above. This gives the Dirtlock a complete cycle, just like a pump would work.
- It’s equipped with bucket locking tabs that can be pushed in and out, allowing you to obtain a perfect seal in your wash bucket. As always, it’s molded from an industrial grade plastic that is extremely durable, flexible and chemical resistant.
The results truly speak for itself. It provides a powerful protection against swirl-marks and scratches to keep your paint shining. If you want to see the Dirt Lock in action, check out the official video below:
If there is one thing I have learned, it is that our customers are always top priority. They allow us to keep the lights on and power running and I am most humble and grateful for this opportunity. Thank you Detailed Image for supporting our company since day one and thank you to all of our amazing customers. Without you guys, none of this would be possible!
- Detail Guardz Dirt Lock Scrub and Pump Attachment Overview from Daniel Schipani of Detail Guardz!
- Dirt Lock Pad Washer Review from Daniel Schipani of Detail Guardz!
- Dirt Lock Review from Daniel Schipani of Detail Guardz!
- Industry Interview: Dave Patterson of Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.
- Industry Interview: Chris West of Solution Finish!