Keeping my car looking great year round doesn’t just happen by accident. It is a process that takes planning for some free time and effort to perform the detail once I get down to it. Upon completion I know my car is in tip top shape and I couldn’t be happier with the time I spent bringing out that deep gloss. If a car similar to mine pulls up alongside me on the road I’m confident I have a superior shine! This article is going to focus on the top 10 reasons on why exactly my car looks great year round.
- I polish my paint with high quality buffer. While it is not recommended to polish each time you detail, at some point you will have to polish the paint for the best shine. Protecting the paint with waxes, sealants and coatings will only enhance the way the paint already looks, so for the best shine you’ll have to polish the paint beforehand. Polishing strictly by hand will have limited results so utilizing a high quality buffer combined with good pads and polishes will be a huge help. For paint in great condition you may be able to do a one step process, but as a vehicle ages a 2 – 3 step polishing process will be needed for best results!
- I clean my tires first then dress them. Have you ever seen a car that the paint just looks absolutely stunning, but the tires are faded and/or dirty? That contrast just pulls your eyes from the paint to the ugly tires below. It just really takes away from the overall look of the vehicle. Proper cleaning and tire dressing will pretty up those “shoes” as some may say, and bring your vehicle to the next level.
- I inspect my wash mitt and microfiber towels regularly. If your wash media or microfiber towels are dirty you’re likely adding swirls and fine scratches to the paint. There is nothing worse than polishing your paint and performing a final microfiber wipe down, only to realize your towel is dirty and has scratched up the paint. Well, it now looks like you will be polishing again! Inspect your towels and save yourself the headache of performing double the work.
- I polish headlights as needed. Hazy headlights not only cause a big safety issue, but they are simply put, hideous! I always inspect my headlights and polish them as needed to keep them crystal clear. I then am sure to protect them so they stay looking their best much longer.
- I have a regular detailing schedule and protect the entire vehicle year round. I make sure to perform a complete detail 1-2 times a year at a minimum and smaller maintenance details in between. This keeps my car looking its best year round. 1 little tip, put time aside and plan for a detail. I find that if you wait for some free time, detailing my be pushed aside or forgotten about.
- I utilize high quality detailing techniques and educate myself. I always make sure to read the Ask-A-Pro Blog and the Detailing Guide. This helps me stay up to date on new and exciting top products and high end detailing techniques. Plus, the authors on this blog do fantastic work, meaning there are always hints and tips to pick up on along the way. I have also found that you can sometimes get comfortable with your favorite combinations and not give time to new products coming out. Keep an open mind and different products could really surprise you!
- I don’t neglect the trim. We tend to focus on the paint and wheels and rightfully so, but show stopping cars never stop there. You have to clean the trim, windows, wheel wells, etc. to add that deep dark contrast that really makes your vehicle pop.
- I fix my car. If I get in an accident, chip the paint, etc. I get it fixed right away. No one likes to see huge dents, paint chips, and much more taking away from the ultimate look of the vehicle. Plus, if you wait a long time to take care of certain damages, you could always run the risk of making it worse and having to spend even more in repairs.
- I have streak free crystal clear windows. This one is more of an interior pet peeve than exterior. Getting streak free windows can be very tricky and does take patience, but it is well worth it in the end. Like your headlights, streaky windows are an eye sore and can be dangerous when driving. Take care of your glass the way you would your interior and keep everything clean and clear!
- My interior is in tip top shape! From no dust on the dashboard, no fingerprints or smudges on the glass, to clean and stain free carpets, my interior looks like the day I picked it up from the dealership. This area is certainly not an area that is seen by everyone, however it is the area that is used the most by you. Keep it look it’s best and when you do have someone else in the car the clean interior will be sure to impress them.
Do you think your car looks better than mine!? Share your reasons for believing so in the comments section below!
- Detailer’s Quirks
- Detailing Projects: Ferrari 488 Pista #2 Paint Correction, Clear Bra, & Ceramic Coating
- Video: Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400 | How to Compound Black Paint
- Video: Menzerna Medium Cut 2500 | How to Polish Paint in 1 Step!
- Detailing Projects: Ferrari 488 Pista Paint Correction, Clear Bra, & Ceramic Coating