What Is The Best Compound?
Choosing a compound can be an intimidating task. There are so many to choose from on the market and there is always that fear that you’re going to buy a product that is not going to perform to your satisfaction, or you’re not going to be able to make it perform properly due to your skill set. The Ask-A-Pro authors, and the Detailed Image e-mail team always get tons of questions regarding compounds/polishes and today we are going to be going over my favorite compound on the market, the Griot’s Garage Boss Fast Correcting Cream.
If anyone knows me, they know how much I love Fast Correcting Cream. I feel it is the most under rated compound on the detailing market and people are missing out on what I think is the most advanced polishing compound you can buy.
I have been using the entire Griot’s Garage Boss System for over a year now, in fact July 8th was my 1 year anniversary with the system (yes I love it that much!). It is my go to for all my paint correction needs.
What Makes This Compound So Elite?
- Extended Work Time: The work time on this compound seems to be infinite, and what’s even more excellent about the extended work time is that it continues to cut as you work it. It is not going to diminish into nothing. The longer you work the product the more it’s going to work for you. That means using less product and less wiping with a towel. It also prevents the pad from gumming up with spent compound as well. You can decide when you are done with your buffing cycle and that is excellent for softer and harder paints.
- NO Dusting: Dusting can be an issue when you are trying to perfect paint. It can get so overwhelming sometimes you are forced to wash the car to get all the compound dust off the car before you go to your polishing step. Whatever pad you decide to use, microfiber or foam, the user will experience no dusting.
- Easy Wipe Off: This is one of the most important aspects to me when it comes to a compound/polish. When polishing, you are trying to perfect the paint to the best of your ability. Other polishes can dry out and force the user to use extra pressure to remove the product. That process right there can scratch and cause towel marring. That is working backwards and in detailing we all know that “time is money”. This product wipes off like a breeze, no matter how long or short you work it and that is just another reason why I recommend this product so much.
- Finishing Ability: Above I said that this is (what I think) to be the most advanced in abrasive technology on the market, and this is one of the biggest reasons why. Even though this product can correct nasty swirls and scratches, you will not believe how amazing this compound finishes. Rather you are using an aggressive microfiber cutting pad, or a foam cutting/polishing pad and this compound leaves behind an amazing result! I have yet to see Fast Correcting Cream to leave severe compound scratches, or marring, haze, etc., like other compounds typically leave behind. Fast Cream finishes even better on foam! You will not think you are using an aggressive compound when using this product, you will think you are working with a finishing polish with how easy it is to work and wipe off. Finishing ability is important because that means you must spend less time in the second process. The slight haze that Fast Cream can leave behind is quickly eliminated with a couple of fast passes with Perfecting Cream.
- Little Goes A Long Way: Do not let the 16 oz size scare you off! Once your pad of choice is primed with product, you use a few drops each panel. Above I stated how long the product works and that means you use less product overall. A typical compound will dry out in 3-4 passes and you can work Fast Cream pretty much as long as you want. This means that instead of the traditional 3-4 passes you can go for 6-8 to ensure defect removal. That will cause you to use less product and that is why this 16o z bottle is more like a quart! (always test your process to see how many passes is needed for your satisfactory results).
- What You See Is What You Get: The Boss polishes contain no fillers, so what you see is what you get! You do not have to worry about Fast Cream filling in light imperfections that you will see later on after a few washes.
- Smells Good: This might sound silly but all the Boss Cream’s smell amazing! I am very sensitive to strong smells that can trigger headaches and other compounds on the market have been guilty of that. Some have a very strong chemical smell, and after spraying degreasers, iron decontamination spray, and a compressor going off every 30-40 mins you can easily get irritated by bad smells. Fast Cream is very pleasant to use and this would still be my favorite compound even if it smelled bad, but anything that makes your polishing experience better is always a plus.
- Will Make Porter Cable Or Griots Garage 6 Inch More Effective: Do not think that you have to use a Boss Polisher to get pro results, the Boss System makes your Porter Cable 7424xp or your Griot’s Garage 6 inch into a little defect removal monster! The boss polishers will just get the job done faster, but you can achieve the same results that I got in the pictures below with the Griots 6 Inch and the PC-7424. Do not be afraid to buy any Boss Pads or Boss Creams due to you not having a Boss Polisher, I actually encourage and strongly advise anybody with those machines to pair a Boss Pad or a Boss Cream, it will actually make your machine more effective.
- Easy to Use: I do not just recommend this product to fellow professionals, I recommend this product to EVERYONE! No matter if you are a newbie at machine polishing or doing high end paint correction, a polish like this does not get any easier to use, so buy with confidence!
Okay, so I talked about all the elite characteristics of Fast Correcting Cream, now it’s time to show you why I love it so much.
The car we are working on is a Rolls Royce Ghost that was hammered with every defect you could name.
(the scratches and swirls were hiding the brilliant flake in the paint)
This was done with 6 section passes, and the amazing part is that is NOT POLISHED! This was done with Fast Correcting Cream and the Boss Microfiber Pad. That is the most aggressive combination you can use, yet look at the amazing finish it left behind.
Now to take it a step further and polish. This is the what the reflection looked like after I was done with Fast Correcting Cream AND Perfecting Cream.
I hope I encouraged all to try this product, it really is nothing short of amazing. Everyone that has used it after my recommendation has told me it exceeded their expectations and it lives up to everything I said it was. I always say that it’s impossible to try this product and not like it. If you do not have this product in your arsenal you are definitely missing out.
- The Ultimate Protection Package: Ferrari 458 Speciale Video
- Product Review: The Last Cut Compounding Glaze
- Removing Ferrari 488 Pista Factory Paint Defects with Gyeon quartz Polishes and Pads
- Product Review: Griot’s Garage Fast Correcting Cream
- Jaguar E-Type: Clear Bra, Paint Correction, Modesta Coatings