The owner of this vehicle had recently purchased the car and noticed that there were odd looking defects all over the vehicle. Upon inspection it was very obvious that the vehicle had been damaged by the detail shop at the dealership. The vehicle was covered in rotary holograms which are created by improper use of a rotary buffer. Thankfully we were able to restore the paint to its rightful glory, and the new owner can enjoy this incredibly luxurious ride. Follow along as we walk through the steps involved in this project, and as usual, I will include a full product list at the very end.
The vehicle was quite dirty when it arrived, so I opted to go with a traditional foam and hand wash rather than a rinseless wash.
I began by cleaning up the wheels and tires before covering the vehicle in a rich layer of foam courtesy of Meguiar’s Hyper Wash. After a pressure rinse, the car was hand washed, and then decontaminated with a fine grade Nanoskin Mitt.
With the paint free of all dirt and contamination, we began a thorough inspection to understand the true condition of the paint. It is not difficult to see that there was a lot of room for improvement.
There were a lot of rotary holograms (buffer trails)…
Swirl marks and scratches…
Water spot etchings…
I began my test spots on the driver’s door. After experimenting with a few cutting compounds and polishes, I found a great 2-step approach that was producing the results we were after.
The paint was compounded with Meguiar’s D300 and then polished with Meguiar’s M205. Talk about a difference in clarity!
After a long day of work, the entire vehicle had been compounded and polished, revealing the brilliant finish of this black sapphire metallic paint.
Aside from the deeper defects, the paint was in exceptional condition. Holograms, swirl marks, water spots, and other superficial defects were successfully removed.
We had all of the curb rash repaired while the vehicle was with us, so the exterior truly felt like a brand new car when the owner came to retrieve it.
After correction, the paint was thoroughly wiped with Optimum Paint Prep to prepare for a coat of Optimum Gloss Coat for durable protection and even more gloss. Unfortunately the sun wasn’t out, but the car still looked outstanding when we pulled it outside!
This luxurious flagship of BMW’s car lineup now looked proper, and the owner was ready to enjoy his new ride!
- Tire Cleaning: Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, Tuf Shine Tire Brush
- Wheel Cleaning: Hyper Wash, Bucket & Grit Guard, EZ Detail Brush, Wheel Woolies, Wheel Brush
- Washing: Meguiar’s Hyper Wash, DI Foam Lance, Buckets & Grit Guards, Microfiber Mitt, 1″ Boars Hair Brush
- Drying: DI Waffle Weave Towel, Metro Master Blaster
- Paint Decontamination: Nanoskin Fine Grade Mitt, Nanoskin Glide
- Paint Correction: Meguiar’s D300 Microfiber Compound, Meguiar’s Microfiber Cutting Pad, Black & Yellow Microfiber Towels
- Paint Polishing: Meguiar’s M205, Lake Country White Polishing Pad, Black & Yellow Microfiber Towels
- Machines Used: Rupes LHR21ES Mark II, Rupes LHR15ES Mark II, Rupes 75e, Rupes iBrid Nano
- Paint Cleansing: Optimum Paint Prep, Double Thick Edgeless Towel
- Paint Protection: Optimum Gloss Coat
- Wheel Protection: Sonax Wheel Rim Shield
- Tire Dressing: Forma RVP, Tuf Shine Applicator
- Glass: Meguiar’s D120
- Metal: Chemical Guys Metal Polish
Buy Products From This Article
- 2016 BMW M4: Paint Correction Detail & 22ple Mistico Elemento Application
- 1999 Porsche 996: Paint Correction and 22ple HPC Coating
- 2015 Range Rover: Paint Correction and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light Application
- Maserati Granturismo: Paint Correction and 22ple HPC Application
- 2008 CLS 63 AMG – Low Mileage Luxury Beast: Paint Correction & 22ple VX3 Application