In this series, I am going to take some time to highlight some of the most popular detailing questions I encounter on a daily basis as a customer service representative here at DI. These questions can range from washing, drying, and polishing, to almost any other step in the detailing process. With the help of Ask-a-Pro Author James Melfi, check out our answers and some helpful detailing resources covering the topic at hand.
I have a black car and I am looking for the best polish and protection products to use on it. What are your suggestions?
When it comes to detailing, I tend to recommend “forgetting” about the color you are working on. Yes, most black paint will show imperfections easier than white, however, I have found that polishes and protection products are much less color dependent than one might think. Instead, I highly recommend focusing on performing a test spot with some of your favorite products to find what works best with the specific paint you are working on. As James mentions before, are you looking for perfection or just a nice refresh? Either way, below are some of my favorite combinations that work on various paint types and colors.
- AIO: Rupes UNO Protect (Rupes Yellow Pad)
- Single Step: Menzerna Medium Cut Polish MC 2500 (Lake Country White Pad)
- Two Step: Griot’s Garage BOSS Fast Correcting Cream (Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber) followed up by Menzerna Medium Cut Polish MC 2500 (Lake Country White Pad)
That’s a tough one. There are so many variables from what type of black paint you have, to where the vehicle is driven, how often it’s driven, how it’s maintained, etc. Also, consider what your expectation is? Are you going for perfect paint or are you just trying to make an improvement? The answer to those questions will help you refine your polish choices.
Bonus Polish & Protection Articles:
- Tutorial: How to Prep a Car for Polishing
- Assessing Paint Condition and Deciding on a Correction Process
- 1 Step, 2 Step, The various Types of Polishing Process
- The 5 Key Elements to Proper and Effective Paint Polishing
- The Benefits of a Paint Coating
- Maintaining Your Paint Coating
- What Coating Should I Buy?
- Initial Impressions & Application: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (CSL)
Related Detailing Guide Section(s)
Buy Products From This Article