We are back with a Projects installment working on another Ferrari 488 Pista. This time in the stunning Rosso Scuderia color. Much like many new Ferraris, the Pista in particular seems to be coming out of the factory with what we would call pretty extreme defects. Heavy sanding marks, holograms, and swirls come as standard. It was our job to correct the paintwork and apply long term protection in the form of clear bra and a ceramic coating. Lets get to it.
The Pista arriving on day 1 via enclosed transport.
The Pista making its way into the wash bay – with some company of course.
- Wheel, Tire Cleaning: Gtechniq G Wash, Gtechniq W5 Citrus APC, Boars Hair Brush, EZ Detail Brush, Wheel Wash Mitt
- Pretreatment: Gtechniq W4 Citrus Foam, MTM Hydro Foam Cannon, Boars Hair Brush
- Wash: Gtechniq G Wash, Rag Company Edgeless 300 Towels
- Decontamination: IronX, Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar
- Drying: Master Blaster Revolution, Rag Company Gauntlet Drying Towel
- Pre-Correction Wipe Down: Gyeon Prep
We started the project off with our normal decontamination stages. First up a pre-treatment with Gtechniq W4 Citrus Foam. This removed any loose debris before the traditional wash.
Paint correction time! Meguiars Ultra Pro Speed M110 leveled the defects nicely when paired with a Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Pad and the Rupes 21mm Orbital Polisher. Some panels required multiple polishing cycles to fully remove all the defects.
Once the compounding step was complete, we refined the finish with Sonax Perfect Finish and 6in/4in Rupes Yellow Polishing Pads. With polishing work complete, the Pista went back into the wash bay for one final rinse.
Weslley installing a complex custom hood. We covered the full hood, fenders, front bumper, headlights and mirrors in LLumar Platinum paint protection film.
After the clear bra installation had been completed and inspected with ScanGrip SunMatch 3 lights, we moved on to our ceramic coating installation.
Ceramic Coating Application
- Preparation: Gyeon Prep
- Primer: Modesta P-01A Primer Polish
- Coating Applicators: Gyeon Applicator Block, Gyeon Microfiber Suede
- Paint Coating: Modesta BC-08 Neo Silica Coating
- Coating TopCoat: Modesta M1 Shot
- Coating Curing: Short Wave Infrared Lamp
During the Modesta M1 Shot application we always conduct our final inspection to ensure all coating residue has been removed.
The blue metallic flake really popped after the coating installation.
And just like that, it was time for the Pista to go home.
Photography: Nick Cosentino
Buy Products From This Article
- Detailing Projects: Ferrari 488 Pista Paint Correction, Clear Bra, & Ceramic Coating
- Projects: Lotus Evora GT, Paint Correction, Clear Bra, Ceramic Coating
- Projects: 2019 Subaru WRX, Swissvax Detail
- Projects l Porsche 918 Spyder l Inspection l Decontamination l Paint Correction (Part 1)
- 1967 Sunfire Yellow Corvette Stingray Detail