3M Custom Image Kit
- Customize your vehicle's paint with any image of your choice
- The matte image is added directly to your clear coat
- Your custom image will last as long as you want and is easy to remove
- This is not a sticker and no adhesives are used to keep it on the paint
- Product Code: 08584
- Read full description
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Product DescriptionThe 3M Custom Image Kit is the perfect way to personalize your vehicle with the image of your choice. This kit will allow you to create any image or graphic you'd like and apply them to the vehicle in less than 30 minutes. Unlike car stickers, decals, etc. the 3M Custom Image Kit doesn't leave behind and residue or adhesives. This unique kit from 3M actually creates the image directly on the clear coat via a very fine sanding process. It's incredibly simply yet incredibly effective and anyone can do this process.
To begin wash and clay the area you would like the image to appear so it's totally clean. Select an area that is flat and avoid curves, seams, etc. You can draw any image you'd like but most people prefer to print out the image of choice on any paper you'd like. Use the included stencil film to trace it on and then cut out the image, we recommend picking up a utility or hobby knife. Next apply that piece of paper to the transfer film and stick it to the paint, peel away the transfer film and you're left with the inverse of the image you want on your paint. Tape down the edges of the film on your paint and begin sanding with the included Trizac Disc by hand. Peel away the tape and transfer film and you'll see a matte image that stands out compared to the shinny clear coat. Now you have a totally custom image on your paint that makes your vehicle stand out! This process is totally safe as it only removes about 1% of the clear coat and it can be safely removed at any time. The image will last as long as you'd like and you can remove it anytime with the supplied 2500 Grit Sandpaper. Pick up the 3M Custom Image Kit today and make your vehicle really stand out!
1 Image Stencil Film (White)
1 Image Transfer Film (Beige)
1 3M Trizact Sanding Disc (3" Round)
1 3M Performance Masking Tape
1 3M Wet or Dry 2500 Grit Sandpaper 3 2/3" x 9" (9,1 cm x 22, 8 cm) (For removal of image only)
Detailed Instructions with pictures
From The Label
Custom Image Kit
- Image of Choice
- Utility/Hobby Knife
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
- Select or create your image and print it out on paper .
- Cut your paper image so that it is smaller than the Image Stencil Film.
- Tape the paper image to the white non-printed side of the Image Stencil Film.
- Use a Utility/Hobby Knife to trace the image into the Image Stencil Film by cutting the paper image and all layers of the Image Stencil Film.
- Remove the printed paper copy of your image from the Image Stencil Film.
- Carefully pull the cut image out of the Image Stencil Film to leave an outline of the image. Keep the outline and necessary internal pieces of the image. This is your image stencil. The internal image you removed is scrap.
- Remove the backing from the Image Transfer Film.
- Place it (sticky side down) over the cut out image on the white side of the Image Stencil Film. Press the two layers together, starting in the center and working your way outward. It is okay if the Image Transfer Film is slightly bigger than the Image Stencil Film, it will not harm the vehicle surface when placed.
- Clean area where you would like to place the image using car wash soap and dry the area with a clean microfiber cloth. DO NOT immediately wax the vehicle surface prior to use, as the Image Stencil Film will not adhere properly.
- Carefully peel the backing off the Image Stencil Film, leaving the Image Transfer Film on the front of the image.
- Lightly place the Image Stencil Film on the surface of the vehicle and reposition as necessary. Smooth out the film from the center to all sides of the image.
- Using a credit card or similar item, smooth the two films onto the vehicle surface. Press firmly to ensure all areas of the Image Stencil Film, especially internal pieces and inside edges are in firm contact with the surface of the vehicle.
- Slowly peel back and remove the Image Transfer Film.
- Use a microfiber detail cloth to re-press the edges of the Image Stencil Film onto the vehicle.
- Using 3M Performance Masking Tape, mask the edges of the Image Stencil Film. This will prevent damage to areas not covered by the film.
- By hand, use the 3M Trizact Sanding Disc with light pressure and make 5 passes over the image. The unprinted side of the sanding disc faces down and will contact the vehicle.
- After 5 passes, stop sanding and wipe the area with a microfiber detail cloth to check progress. Take care to sand all portions of the image equally. Caution: It is very important to check the progress of the sanding. Sanding for too long could result in removing too much clear coat. Also, take care not to sand on paint surfaces outside of the masked area.
- If you see any shiny spots, sand that area for another 5 passes and then stop and check again. If you chose a complex design where film edge lifting is a concern; sand in the direction of the design to avoid lifting.
- Repeat steps 1-3 up to 5 times. Stop as soon as the image appears evenly matted. NOTE: Sanding all the way to the edge of the Custom Image Stencil Film within the image will not be possible; there will always be a small band of non-matte area visible around the perimeter of the image. This is normal.
- Peel off the 3M Performance Masking Tape and the Custom Image Stencil Film.
Caution: STOP if you see the colour of your paint appearing on the surface of the 3M Trizact Sanding Disc. This is a sign that the clear coat has been removed and needs to be reapplied.
Sorry, there are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write a review!