Frequently Asked Questions
How do waxes, sealants and coatings compare, and which one is best for me?
Sealants are much more durable than waxes (3-4 months of protection compared to 3-4 weeks with waxes) and very easy to work with so most detailers prefer a sealant, especially on daily drivers. They look great on all colors and can be applied by hand or with a buffer. A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there, however adding a wax on top can really add another layer of gloss, depth and protection to take your detail to the next level.
If you are looking for the deepest, wettest look out there we would highly recommend a coating. Semi-permanent coatings take more effort and time to apply, but the results are worth it. Coatings will provide an amazing level of gloss and shine, while protecting your paint for up to 24 months! You can also top the coating with any wax or sealant to add more depth, gloss, and protection to the paint.
For more information on all of these great protection options check out our Ask-A-Pro Blog and Auto Detailing Guide. In particular, you might enjoy The Case Against series of posts that discuss the pros and cons of sealants, waxes, and coatings.
More Detailing FAQs
- I'm new to detailing. Where do I get started?
- I am looking to wash and dry my car, what are your recommendations?
- How do I use a clay bar correctly?
- I am looking to start polishing my car. Can you guide me in the right direction?
- With all the various options for Quick Detailers, I am having trouble deciding on what one is best for me. Can you highlight some of them and recommend what one you like the best?
- What is a glaze and should I use one?
- How many and what type of microfiber towels should I use for each detailing step?
- How do I choose the correct buffer or polisher for me?
- How long do products last?
- How do I remove sap from a car?
- What do you recommend to remove spots or etchings caused by bird droppings?
- How do I remove water marks or water spots?
- How do I remove cigarette smoke smell from a car?
- How do I remove "wet dog" smell from a car?
- How do I remove lovebug etchings from my paint?
- How do I clean suede in a car?
- How do I clean Alcantara in a car?